Warning: Swearing and spoilers ahead. Some ranting too.
- Not gonna lie, I did read the whole series in 3 days because it’s pretty addictive but like so is sugar and that shit’s bad for you.
- Cool descriptions. I thought the Dragon Hall sounded really grand and the appearance of the chromograph sounded amaaazing. All the time travelling settings seemed really authentic too. The author can write some pretty creative worlds, I’ll give her that.
- The plot was So. Damn. Slow. The first half of Ruby Red was just basically Gwen going to school. I swear nothing happened in each book but somehow we got to the end (thank god). Everything that happened in the whole series could’ve actually just been one book. That’s how slow it was.
- Gwen had no character development. As the main character we expect her to develop a lot. At the start, she’s a normal girl who’s just like you! She likes chick flicks, romantic movies and isn’t the brightest bulb in the box. At the end, she’s a time travelling girl who likes chick flicks, romantic movies and still isn’t the brightest bulb in the box. The amount of time she spends thinking about Gideon… I guess it’s meant to build the romance but it really just makes her seem super airheaded and really annoying. And what was the point of her seeing ghosts? There was literally no point in her special power because it contributes shit all to the plot.
- (Except Xemerius. He can stay because his sarcasm is what I live for)
- The side characters are literally just there to be there. Gideon has no personality – not even joking, his character is just good looks and arrogance. Lesley is just there to provide random information and Charlotte is that one bitchy girl.
- The Count is such an ineffective antagonist – who really cares if he gets immortality or not, he has no evil plots after it so whatever.
- HAHAHAHHA THE ROMANCE IS SO SHIT. In Ruby Red or maybe it was Sapphire Blue (they kinda just blend together), they literally admit their love for each other in like 3 days of meeting like WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS THIS. Also every time Gideon does something assholey she’s just like “OMG but he’s sooooo cute!!!!! That’s alright then!!!!”. Refer to above “airhead”
- The most frustrating part of the whole series is that it had so much potential. The concept of time travelling and a whole organisation dedicated to it could’ve been so interesting and we see that in the big mystery that shrouds the whole thing. We could’ve gotten a romance between two people torn between their duty and their feelings. But instead of that, we get whiny, annoying romance that never really feels real and a mystery that really didn’t have any stakes. Nothing is really explained properly and nothing was really a surprise
- Is Gwen related to Mr Bernard and does he know this? Do the other time travellers also have powers like Gwen and the Count?? See this is what I mean NOTHING IS ANSWERED IN THIS SERIES
Read this if:
you’re looking for a quick read – but maybe try find other books first so you don’t have to read through boring, frustrating dialogue and plot.