Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3)
Celaena Sardothien has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak—but at an unspeakable cost. Now she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth…a truth about her heritage that could change her life—and her future—forever.
Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. To defeat them, Celaena must find the strength to not only fight her inner demons but to battle the evil that is about to be unleashed.
Confession: I hated Heir of Fire.
Don’t get me wrong, the series really doesn’t work for me but I loathe Heir of Fire. Here’s the 4 reasons why.
- It was SO GODDAMN SLOW. Took me a better part of a month to finish it and on top of that, I didn’t enjoy one single moment of it. The whole plot was basically just setting up Queen of Shadow’s plot meaning nothing interesting happens. Also, the final battle lasted literally 2 seconds. Just so disappointing.
- Celaena pisses me off. I’ve never really been able to connect with her as a character and I think I know why: she’s really, really cliched. To me she’s just one in a long line of badass bitches in YA fantasy/dystopia/apocalyptic and nowhere near the front.
- Chaol pisses me off. The multi-POV situation just made it worse. He’s so indecisive and that’s what annoys me so much. JUST PICK A SIDE!! It’s not hard.
- The romance set up was just the worst. It’s not that Rowan and Celaena don’t have chemistry, it’s just I feel like they could’ve been so much better as friends. Strictly platonic and no kissing friends. The way Celaena goes through guys it really just feels like Rowan is the flavour of the month or in this case the book so I’m not a shipper. Sorry Rowlin fangirls!
There were two things I did like about this book, namely two characters. Yep, Dorian and Manon saved this book from getting a 1 star rating.
- Dorian has always been my favourite in the series but omg is he fierce in Heir of Fire! I love how he’s learning to use his magic and I’m so excited to see what happens to it in the next book.
- Manon is totally evil, I love her. She’s the real badass bitch in Heir of Fire, Celaena can only dream about her. She’s got good character development, interesting life and moral conflicts… THAT’S WHAT I WANT FROM CELAENA instead of the bullshit flitting about everywhere and doing stuff for reasons.
Verdict: I’m only reading the next book because I already bought it.
I’m so sorry to all the Throne of Glass lovers out there. Trust me, I really wanted to like it too 😦